10 April 2015

The Keukenhof Garden Experience at Lisse, Netherlands



I have been dreaming about stepping my foot in this magical garden for a long time. When I have finally visited Keukenhof Garden last March 29, 2015, it rained like crazy! But, I didn't let the rain stop me from taking pictures around the area and savour each moment I had while inside the Keukenhof Garden.

If it wasn't for the strong, gusty winds, the biting cold with torrential rains, I would brave the inclement weather and go around Keukenhof. However, the trees around me seemed like they were going to fall on me each the strong wind blows so I wasn't able to go around the entire garden to check out other areas. I was able to visit the Juliana Tulip Pavilion and checked out Tulpomania because it was near the entrance where there are covered sheds and cozy seats to get comfortable.



This year's theme is about the commemoration of the 125 years since the death of the famous Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh.

There are also other events happening in the garden so it is best to check the website if you plan to visit.

What can you see in Keukenhof Garden?


Flowers! You can see plenty of flowers like hydrangeas, hyacinths, crocuses, carnations, calla lilies, bluebells, narcissi and many more; not to mention the over 800 varieties of tulips planted all over the Keukenhof Garden. Aside from flowers, there are ponds, petting farm and playground.

Aside from what you can see there, the entire family and everyone visiting the garden can enjoy riding bikes outside the garden (biking is NOT allowed inside Keukenhof) and children can have fun in the petting farm and go on a treasure hunt for free!


When is it open?


It is open only once a year during spring time and the date of opening varies year per year depending on the weather. This year, the garden is open from March 20 to May 17, 2015. So, flower-loving visitors all over the world fly to the Netherlands to soak in the lovely splashes of colour from the many beautiful flowering plants in the garden.


Where is it?


Keukenhof Garden is located in Lisse, Netherlands. It is accessible by train, car, and public transportation.


Where to book/buy tickets?


You can directly purchase from their website or through travel agencies around Amsterdam. I booked mine through Viator with a combination tour to Volendam, Marken and Zaanse Schans. The tour is operated by Lindbergh in Damrak, stones' throw away from Amsterdam Central Station.




Here are few of the pictures I have managed to have snapped in Keukenhof despite of the heavy rains. My bucket list is just half-ticked because I haven't seen the full glory of what Keukenhof has to offer. I will definitely visit again next year and I'll make sure my visit will count.

(There were more beyond this shot but didn't venture much because of the gusty winds and very biting cold and wet weather.)



(I was so tempted to take one tulip home as souvenir. They're so pretty and there were so many varieties too.)


(I wanted to dive in this sweetness! They smell so good and looked very fluffy too.  Their colours are much better in person than in this shot.)


The pictures didn't justify the real beauty right in front of my eyes. You actually have to go there to admire the flowers and the surrounding. Some of the flowers were in bloom already and I could imagine how beautiful the whole garden would be when they are all in full bloom (and no rain!). The sight will be spectacular!

Visit Keukenhof Garden when you are in Netherlands during spring. You still have time until 17 May. It is best to visit during mid-April when the flowers are in full bloom and the weather is not as rainy when I visited. There are nearby accommodations too in Lisse if you want to book one. Check out Booking.com.


Labels: , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At April 11, 2015 at 5:42 AM , Anonymous Chubskulit Rose said...

I would love love love to experience that sis, it must have been like a paradise there! Love all these photos and thank you for sharing, at least I have traveled virtually through your post and seen Netherlands hehehe.

 
At March 17, 2016 at 8:20 PM , Blogger riablahgs said...

You should sis and take the whole fam. I missed to go back this year with all that has happened to my family (and the lack of budget and planning). I will really go back, perhaps in 2017 or 2018 with my hubby and daughter. I want them to experience the beauty of Keukenhof and the whole of Amsterdam!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home