08 August 2012

Catacombs of Paris

Who would have thought that the beautiful city of Paris has a deep and dark secret? I did not know this until I read an article in CNN regarding the Catacombs of Paris.

Photo credit: aeontours.com
Beneath the bustling city of Paris lies the underground ossuary of the remains of 6 million people who were buried in the cemeteries in Paris circa 1700's. The cemetery of Saints Innocents got very populated and contaminated due to improper burial so the decision to move the remains secretly to the abandoned quarries was carried out.

To this day, the Catacombs of Paris has become a known attraction to most Parisians, urban explorers and tourists as well. Some of the entries leading to the underground cemetery have been closed by private building and property owners to discourage vandalism, cataphiles and untoward activities which may compromise the safety of everyone.

This morbid reminder of the past is located around the south of Paris, the former city gate Place Denfert- Rochereau.

Given the chance, will you visit this place? As for me, no matter how much I love Paris and curious I am on the "treasure" that lies beneath it, I will have to take a rain check on this one. I am not brave enough to explore this hidden attraction.

Photo credit: hobyto.com



Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At August 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM , Blogger Imee said...

I don't think I would go there, negative energies maybe roaming around this catacombs. Madali akong matakod, hahaha!!!

btw. thanks for adding me in your blogroll.

Imee <3

 
At August 18, 2012 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Michelle Lalic said...

I love the idea of me travelling anywhere kaso hanggang dreams and wishes ko na lang un. Going to Paris is a dream, kahit nakakatakot siguro sa Catacombs tapos kailangan talaga bisitahin yun.. Ok lang at least makakapunta ng PARIS!^^

 
At August 20, 2012 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous Marms said...

Oh my! I don't think I have enough guts to go there too. I'll have nightmares if I do.

Take care,

Marms

 
At September 2, 2012 at 8:59 PM , Blogger riablahgs said...

I agree with your ladies. I will never set foot in that place, not in a million years! I don't mind going to the top level of Eiffel Tower instead. Thanks for your comments.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home